Thursday, November 18, 2010

Remember the natural blonde scene?

From the movie MASH I mean? The guys have a bet about whether Hot Lips Houlihan is a natural blonde. They wait until she is in the shower and keep all the other nurses out and pull up the tent flap so she is exposed to the entire camp.

I was thirteen years old when I saw that movie and I was the only person in the theatre who wasn't laughing afterward. All around me men and women were laughing real hard.

And I thought, "Am I the only one who thinks this is really wrong?"

I totally get wanting to see women naked and I have even quietly wished for a wardrobe malfunction but deliberately humiliating a woman like that is just wrong. And it's just as wrong if she is a vain jerk that everybody hates. Maybe even more wrong in that case.

The previous post got me thinking about this.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm not that much older than you, I was around 18 or 19 when I saw MASH. I remember the scene you speak of, I also thought it was wrong, but I understood why others thought it was funny. Actually, there wasn't much I thought WAS funny in the MASH movie, but assumed it was because I was too uptight. Then I met this older nurse who told me that it was a realistic portrayal of doctors, which made me depressed. I enjoyed the MASH TV series though.

    ReplyDelete