Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting started: I'm serious about this

Really. Here is the verse:
How's your new love?
I hope he's doing fine
Heard you told him
That you'd love him 'til the end of time
Now that's the same thing, that you told me
Seems like just the other day
Gee, ain't it funny, how time slips away
What's the issue I'm on about? Here it is: Does she really love me? Do I really love her? What does love amount to anyway? Before anything else, Sense and Sensibility is a novel about these questions that apply to anyone's life. Jane Austen approaches these questions in a way characteristic of her and her time but they are the same questions that tore me apart when I was seventeen and in love for the first time. Probably you too.

The story is about three women I call the "three Ophelias" of Sense and Sensibility who fall in love but in each case it isn't at all clear what "love" amounts to. (I'll explain what I mean by the three Ophelias later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment