Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Edward Ferrars (2)

So, what does Marianne think of Edward? Her mother is a little worried on this point.
But you look grave, Marianne; do you disapprove your sister's choice?
As it happens, she does disspprove.
"Perhaps," said Marianne, "I may consider it with some surprise. Edward is very amiable, and I love him tenderly. But yet, he is not the kind of young man -- there is a something wanting, his figure is not striking -- it has none of that grace which I should expect in the man who could seriously attach my sister. His eyes want all that spirit, that fire, which at once announce virtue and intelligence. And besides all this, I am afraid, mama, he has no real taste. Music seems scarcely to attract him, and though he admires Elinor's drawings very much, it is not the admiration of a person who can understand their worth.
Poor Edward, Marianne thinks he lacks sensibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment