Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Could we "Austenize" our story

I mean the elementary story about Frank I just told?

Someone might be inclined to say "no" because the story I have sketched out is too vulgar and too base for Austen. But it isn't. Willoughby, Wickham and Henry Crawford are all just as vulgar and base as Frank. And remember that Frank has considerable social and intellectual polish just like Willoughby.

So how would Austen's telling of the story differ from mine? I think the first thing to differ would be the moral we might draw from the story. If we want to start parceling out the blame in my story we have no doubt about where to start. That would also be true of any Austenized version. Frank is bum.

But where do we stop parceling out the blame? That's where my story fails. It's too simple and too crude. It's a lot like a good versus evil story. Frank is a bum with a smooth style and he messes up people's lives. It's just the sort of "story" that Tyler Cowen doesn't like and he is quite right not to. And, again, it's the kind of story we tell all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment