Monday, September 20, 2010

My wackiest theories yet

I like to go back and look over older episodes every once in a while. Anyway, I noticed something about the titles of three episodes this season:
  • Christmas Comes but Once a Year
  • The Good News
  • The Rejected
Interesting no? I mean the Christian references here. Christmas followed by the good news followed by the rejected. Was all that meant to hint at the coming resurrection of Don? I think yes.{Update: Yup, I was vindicated on this.]

The previous seasons, especially the first, were big on old testament parallels. I had assumed we would just move on there but maybe Weiner has picked up on a new testament reference this year. Note how many times Don says "Jesus".

On the subject of weird reference, rewatching "The Rejected", I caught something I missed before. When Harry gets the phone call at the restaurant he makes a comment about "those goniffs over at CBS". Pete, not surprisingly, says, "those what?" Why oh why is Harry dropping Yiddish terms into conversation like that?

Is Harry Jewish?

That would be a much better explanation for the old-fashioned furniture in his office than anything else I've seen. It's the stuff he inherited that he can't use in the home but can't bring himself to toss. I think it also would explain his Anti-Jewish comments in The Suitcase; he is working too hard at passing.

Meanwhile, watching Megan that episode, I'm wondering if my tentative remarks about her being a lesbian weren't too skittish. I'm thinking she is. The thing that really has me suspicious is her refusal of Peggy's offer to join her and Joyce and the gang for drinks. Megan says, "I can't," I thought, "can't". [Update: But wrong on this.] [2015/02/26 Update of the update: I took Megan and Don's affair and wedding as proof she was heterosexual. Given the subsequent separation and some of Megan's other actions, I regard the question as open again.]

The point being that there would be much more at risk for Megan if she is. She'd be at some risk of coming out in from of Peggy a risk a closeted lesbian with a job she wanted to keep would be very hesitant to take.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think they're so wacky at all. I caught the Christian reference in The Good News when the episode aired, now that you mention the other two titles I think you're right. I've also noticed how often Don says "Jesus." He's doing it more lately but it started in Season 1 when he got angry with Philip Morris or another account that didn't like what he had come up with, and that season also had the many Jewish and other old testament references--including Rachel Mencken-- so Don invoking Jesus then could have been prophetic.

    Now I'm wondering if Harry is Jewish and trying to pass. Your point about the Yiddish word is well-taken, and when he's giving away tickets to the Clay-Liston fight he tells Danny he's "such a Jew" and Danny responds "do you talk to your friends in L.A. like that?" and then "you're the real Jew trying to make money off of tickets you got for free."

    I'm not sure about Megan. Remember a few seasons back, Joyce says something to Peggy about her and her friends wanting to come upstairs to SCDP so that they could look at Megan? If she is, she's not stereotypical like they did with Sal Romano. Not that it matters, Rizzo referred to her as Yvette Mimieux, which I interpreted as a compliment, so if she is gay she's not sending out daggers or bad vibes to the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Remember a few seasons back"

    I meant a few episodes back.

    ReplyDelete