Sunday, June 19, 2011

Because it's summer: smooth song of the day #11

Rhiannon and (added) Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac
The first time I heard Rhiannon I was in the car with my sister and three of her friends. They could see my puzzled expression at the obvious reverence they held the song in. "It's about a witch", one of them explained and that, apparently, should have been sufficient.

I've never liked it but smooth, clean girls in Indian cotton loved it not least because of the essential role model handling the vocals on the tune. If there was a woman the smooth, clean girls wanted to grow up to be more than any other that woman was Stevie Nicks.



Gold Dust Woman revisits the same theme several years later and is a vast improvement. I remember sometimes catching girls listening intently to this when they didn't think anyone paying attention to it and being able to tell what she was dreaming about.



The series starts here.

The next song is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment