Thursday, June 16, 2011

Because it's summer: smooth song of the day #8

Boulder to Birmingham by Emmylou Harris
There was this girl, I can't mention even her first name because someone will figure out who I'm talking about. Her father was the chief of police and she had a leather bikini. She only wore the top in front of me (usually matched with a black taffeta skirt that looked like it belonged in a vintage western). When she wanted to see my poor little boy brain explode and splatter grey matter all over the walls, she would wait until her parents went out, pour me a glass of her daddy's best whisky, put Emmylou on the stereo and casually remark that it was hot and slip out of her shirt to reveal this leather bra.

For some reason I was firmly convinced that this song was about Martin Luther King (it's actually about Gram Parsons) at the time so I have rather odd associations involving a smooth, clean girl in a cotton shirt and skirt with a leather bra underneath when I read about the civil rights struggles thanks to her.
The series starts here.



The next song is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment