Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Perspectives on chastity

Ah, the things I could have gone through my entire life never knowing about if it weren't for weird things coming up in what ought to be innocuous google searches.

I was intrigued by Lisa Graas's misuse of the word "chastity" in describing herself using the expression "chaste for life". She seems to think that chastity means abstaining from sex. That's a pretty common misconception but you would expect someone who writes on Catholic issues to know better. (You can abstain absolutely and still be very unchaste whereas a sexually active married couple can be chaste.)

Out of curiousity, I googled the expression "chaste for life" to see what came up and something I wouldn't have guessed came up.

It seems there are couples whose big turn on is to have the husband put on a chastity belt and then hand the key over to the wife. The chastity belt apparently makes any sort of pleasure impossible without her consent while allowing him to do the other things he needs to do. I can't actually picture the, ah, hardware involved.

As you would expect, there are things these couples talk about that Catholic advocates for abstinence and chastity would find a little hard to deal with. What I didn't expect, however, was the number of things they say that wouldn't sound out of place in a Catholic forum. There were guys saying, for example, that the restraint made sex more meaningful and loving when it did happen. And there were guys saying that it made them more respectful of their wives. There was even one guys who said he could see this leading to a lifelong abstinence.

No, I am not and would not conclude anything from this, I just found it ... something.

No comments:

Post a Comment