Sunday, June 26, 2011

Because it's summer: smooth song of the day #18

Love and Affection by Joan Armatrading
This song was another one that was big with the smooth, clean girls years after it was a hit. They were still listening to it when I got to university in the early 1980s. They weren't the same smooth, clean girls I'd known in high school. No, they were a new set of even better smooth, clean girls—smarter, more sophisticated, better looking and far less prone to send mixed messages. Only now they were smooth, clean preppy girls.  The Indian cotton had been replaced by LL Bean.

I remember visiting these two women who really liked me and I couldn't believe my lucky to be in with them again. They had a sour cream tub that each had to put a dollar into every time she wanted to play this song to prevent either from playing too often. The tune had come out when I was in high school but somehow I'd missed it.

Beyond that I don't know what to say. This is perfect. Not only did the smooth, clean preppy girls love the song, the lyrics told you exactly what you had to do to get in good with them. Happy days were here again for the first time.

By the way, there was a movie that all the smooth, clean girls saw that first year at college and if a guy wanted to get in with them, he had to see it and be able to respond to the things a smooth, clean girl wanted to say about it. You can catch that movie here.




The series starts here.

The next song is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment