Monday, December 14, 2009

Stupid social science

Okay, disclosure first. I have been married for 15 years in which time I have had sex with no one but my spouse. However, a long time ago I was single and I did have some casual sex and never felt it did me any harm. For the most part, I don't think casual sex carries much risk of harm at all within limits. Do it too often, and I think the the safe bet is to stay in single digits although nothing is necessarily irredeemable, (although more than twenty times in a lifetime is getting there) and I think it will begin to damage your ability to have satisfying love relationships.

That said, the really dangerous thing to my mind is serial monogamy. When I look at friends who are seriously damaged, it is the ones who did one monogamous sexual relationship after another.

Anyway, now that my biases are clear let me get to what has to be the stupidest study since, well, since the last really stupid study ten minutes ago. Researchers from the University of Minnesota have determined that casual sex does no emotional harm. How did they figure this out, why they asked people who have recently had casual sex if they feel any worse for the experience:

"Researchers spoke to 1,311 young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 about their last sexual encounter and found that the one-fifth who last had casual sex and the four-fifths all felt emotionally similar afterward."

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment