Monday, February 22, 2010

"Settling" and feminism (6)

Now, let me pour myself a saucer of milk and get a little catty.

Cause notice what happens. After attacking Gottlieb for drawing broad conclusions based on her personal experience, here is how Dana Goldstein defends feminism:
"... if I think about the young women I know who are feminists, I think most of them are in really healthful relationships."
Emily Bazelon, is clearly not impressed with that line from Dana Goldstein (her "Uh huh, that's interesting" in response is worth replaying the thing to catch). But that doesn't stop her from going on to make a nasty ad hominem by telling us all about this interview in Jezebel with "Tim" who says that Gottlieb was overly critical and not mature enough to make a relationship work. Bazelon is so thrilled with the personal attack being made her that she has a hard time not laughing.

I guess the only problem I have with that is that the Gottlieb's central point is that she was too critical of past partners so I don't quite get how citing one of her past partners saying she was too critical hurts that point. What I do see here is Emily Bazelon being so obsessed with defending feminism that she has forgotten what the book was about.

I also think that "Tim" is a first class shit and vile pig of a man for doing that interview. Gottlieb might have been too critical of him in some ways but her decision to dump him certainly feels right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment