Monday, February 15, 2010

Unsolicited love advice

Today, being the day after Valentine's Day, begins the unsolicited love advice day.

What special qualifications do I have for this? None I can think of. But, hey, that means that anyone reading can ignore the authority issues and judge the advice on its own merits.

Which is sort of what I will be doing. My source for most (if not all) of this stuff will be other people's published advice. I'll start with what they have to say and go from there.

I thought of this thinking about the post I wrote on the alpha-male phenomenon and the whole pick-up artist, got-game thing I keep reading about. All my life I have been reading and hearing love advice handed out and it has always struck me that this stuff is crap for two reasons:
  1. It is too polite; the people dishing this advice out won't come out and say the blunt truths that need to be said.
  2. Forty years after the birth of the women's movement, the people giving love advice still treat women as tender little flowers in danger of being crushed and not as adults fully responsible for their own behaviour.
So I've decided to talk back a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment