Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Edward Ferrars (4)

Not surprisingly, Elinor goes on to praise Edward's good sense. Well, that's getting me excited. How about you?

Well, don't give up hope on the guy just yet. There is more. Elinor wants us to know that although the water is chilly at first, it's better when you get used to it.
But of his minuter propensities, as you call them, you have from peculiar circumstances been kept more ignorant than myself. He and I have been at times thrown a good deal together, while you have been wholly engrossed on the most affectionate principle by my mother. I have seen a great deal of him, have studied his sentiments and heard his opinion on subjects of literature and taste; and, upon the whole, I venture to pronounce that his mind is well-informed, his enjoyment of books exceedingly great, his imagination lively, his observation just and correct, and his taste delicate and pure. His abilities in every respect improve as much upon acquaintance as his manners and person.
A little added emphasis by me. Here is a question: Is Elinor right in thinking that Marianne has had less opportunity to get to know Edward? Why do I ask? Well, because I have already read the book a few times and I know there is an interesting surprise coming up on this subject. I'll just mark it for now but this subject will come up again.

What we can note for now, is that Elinor herself is a little coy in the bit cited above about the nature of her interactions with Edward.
"He and I have been at times thrown a good deal together ...."
You don't say? And tell me, my dearest Elinor, who exactly has been doing the "throwing"?

Here we get the beginning of a glimpse, just the tiniest glimpse, of the glory of Elinor.

No comments:

Post a Comment