Friday, January 8, 2010

What would a law professor know ...

... about job satisfaction?*

Ann Althouse, whom I love even though we are both happily married, has posted on that WSJ job rating story. A lot of people seem quite worked about it. A journalist I was listeing to yesterday was apopletic about it, but he's a journalist which is to say, totally screwed.

Althouse said "Actuary is #1, so... shouldn't there be more factors? Like something about how interesting it is... especially to do over the long haul?"

Hey, it's Marianne Dashwood-Althouse! That strange romantic obsession still haunts our culture.

I know two actuaries. They aren't any less interesting than anyone else I know. They have good lives, good marriages, families &c. When they describe their work it sounds interesting. More importantly, they don't mind being asked. That's what really matters. I can't find it online but the scene from Metropolitan with Roger W. Kirby in the bar nails it exactly. He says:
The acid test is whether you take any pleasure in responding to the question, What do you do? I can't bear it.
What do I do? Nothing on the list describes what I do exactly. I'm a writer. I write things other people want written. Some of my work is technical writing and that is #13 on the list for whatever that is worth.


* Answer: no more or less than any actuary or chartered accountant.

No comments:

Post a Comment