Monday, January 18, 2010

It's no accident ...

... that "Americano" means wimpy, watery coffee.

I like Americans. I really do. I like them a more than most other Quebecois and I like them a whole lot more than people from Toronto do. But Americans don't have a clue about coffee. The otherwise intelligent and reasonable Jonah Goldberg writes:
Dunkin Donuts coffee is much, much better than Starbucks coffee (which often has that burnt taste, hence the nom de brew "Charbucks").
No Mr, Goldberg, that is what proper dark-roast coffee tastes like. (And I don't mean to single out Goldberg, Megan McCardle has said equally inane things.) And, no, Starbucks is not the word's greatest coffee but it is actually coffee and that is a lot more than you can say about the stuff that 99 percent of Americans willingly drink.

Someone I read years ago pointed out that you can see this for yourself by invited an American houseguest to make their own espresso. They'll turn that crank and they will keep turning it until they have run soooo much water through those poor grounds that they yield up that flavourless brown water they crave.

No comments:

Post a Comment