Thursday, January 28, 2010

Am I really a libertine?

The perils of being a small time blogger. My unofficial comments policy is that I will publish all critical comments but no abusive ones. And, no, I'm not defining abusive. I remain confident that I will recognize abuse when I see it.

Anyway, I recently received, and published, a comment from someone who more or less defines irony impaired. (Is it abusive that I say that about him? Some might think so, I don't.) This person seems to have read the word "libertine" in the blog title and taken it at face value and assumed I'm with him. I doubt he read the post he was commenting on very carefully. He just thought he found a place to advertise his philosophy.

But am I really a libertine? I could also ask am I really crypto-Catholic? Only that wouldn't make much sense. Saying you're crypto-Catholic is like announcing you are in the closet. The second you say it out loud, you no longer are. Libertine is a tricky concept. In some ways, I could simply say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment