Thursday, April 14, 2011

Jennifer Fulwiler hands me a gift

Every once in a while, life will hand us a gift. Yesterday I got one. The Serpentine One spotted it first and called my attention to it. Here its is. Yesterday, Jennifer Fulwiler posted this:
Women hold all the cards when it comes to sex. As a gender, men want sex more than women do, and they are willing to go to great lengths to get it. They’ll change their behavior. They’ll reconsider their ideas.
Recognize that? 

Yes? No? Maybe? Doesn't it look an awful lot like our current subject courtly love? I mean, that is either describing courtly love or a very close relative of it. And how odd that that a Catholic writer would crank this thought out.

There is a second quote to go with it. This one is cited by Fulwiler but it ultimately comes from Bishop Fulton Sheen.
To a great extent the level of any civilization is the level of its womanhood. When a man loves a woman, he has to become worthy of her. The higher her virtue, the more noble her character, the more devoted she is to truth, justice, goodness, the more a man has to aspire to be worthy of her. The history of civilization could actually be written in terms of the level of its women.
That sure sounds like it doesn't it? And here we can take our hat off to CS Lewis for he saw some big aspects of this that both Fulwiler and Sheen didn't. Lewis notes, for example, that the above ties directly to adultery. And I'll get to why that is in part two of today's posting.

I'll get to it in Part 2 because I will be putting up three posts on the subject today. UPDATE: Only two parts. On rereading them I find my silly romantic notions are too silly even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment