Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Is addiction a good model for sin?

Simcha Fisher has an interesting piece up at the National Catholic Register called "All Sin is Disgusting". Here is the opening paragraph:
In my post about St. Anthony wet house, the homeless shelter which allows clients to drink, several commenters reminded us that alcoholism is an especially disgusting, shameful sin—a selfish one, one which destroys lives and displays in the sinner a brutish, willful resistance against grace.
Now Fisher does not agree and that is important to grasp.
When I think about an alcoholic, I am astonished that someone would choose so much sin and ugliness over everything that is good in the world.  But I do this every single day.  Every single hour of every single day.  I’ve been going to confession for thirty years, and I confess the same damn things every single time.  If that’s not an addiction, I don’t know what is.
That is she doesn't agree that there is anything unusually disgusting about alcoholism.

But what stops me is the line about her own sins where she writes:
... I confess the same damn things every single time.  If that’s not an addiction, I don’t know what is.
Well, me too. I commit the same sins over and over again but I'm not sure that can reasonably be called addiction. If anything, it seems to me that true addiction is less of a sin precisely because it is addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment