Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I love corrections like this

From the New York Times:
A series of pictures last Sunday of covers of the magazine Tiger Beat, with an article about how the original teen-girl tabloid has remained virtually unchanged since its inception in 1965, erroneously included a parody cover, produced by the satiric newspaper The Onion, that featured a picture of President Obama.
For those of you who have never worked at a newspaper, let me explain what actually happened here. This wasn't an error. Someone at the New York Times pulled this joke off and no one else noticed it until it was too late.

And any time you see a mistake that just looks too good, that is what happened. No I can't prove it but trust me, this sort of stunt is a classic. A reporter I used to work with once wrote a story about how "five had perished in a fire at a local farm" but never mentioning once in the story that the perished were all chickens. The editor missed it and the story made it to print causing widespread concern in the community. My friend probably still brags about it. It's the sort of joke newsroom guys love.

No comments:

Post a Comment