Saturday, July 31, 2010

Home

When you get homesick, what is the image that pops into your head? For me it is like the images below.



There used to be stairs like that all the way down the Atlantic coast from the Maritimes to Florida. I've walked, sat on, dreamed on, picked blueberries and raspberries and even kissed and made out on stairs like that. There aren't as many as there used to be.


Here is a lobster roll.





Look at it closely, that is an entire piece of claw meat in that roll. (Click on the picture to see it larger.) You make nice with the woman at the stand and she'll do things like that for you.

Here is where I got the lobster roll.



If you ever find yourself driving from St. Stephen to Saint John, make plans to go here. You will not have really lived if you don't.

Here is the Golden Ginger Ale I had with the lobster roll.



When we were kids, Sussex was the discount brand. It was one of hundreds of local soda companies that were crushed by television. By television? Yes, when television came along it homogenized our society. Certain soda companies won out because they could afford to buy national ads and others could not. Sussex survived by selling for less.

As kids we were sensitive to TV ads and price. We assumed that Coke and Canada Dry were better. I was fourteen—I think, about that anyway—when I realized for the first time that Sussex Golden Ginger Ale was something special. It tastes better. If you're ever here in New Brunswick, buy a can and enjoy.

Home, you can go back even if only for a week. I've been here saying goodbye to my Godfather. He died in January and the funeral was mid week so I couldn't leave work and come down. He was the greatest man I've ever known. All the images above have something to do with him.

Here is last one I think he'd love. I saw this sign and wondered what it said so I walked over close to read it. He would have laughed very hard at that. (Click the image to see it larger if you can't read it on the screen.

5 comments:

  1. The Serpentine OneJuly 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

    Do they do long-distance take-out? I'd like a lobster roll and a ginger ale to go, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that two!

    I remember seeing stairs like like those on the Connecticut and Rhode Island shore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely photos! They remind me of home too. I grew up in Moncton, NB, and while I have lived elsewhere for almost 13 years my heart is still tied to Atlantic Canada.
    I particularly love your image of the lobster roll with a Sussex Gold (my favourite soda). I would very much like to share this image with my friends (most of whom have never seen a lobster roll) if you would permit me to do so. Of course I would give you full credit for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello LGardner,

    Please use the photo with my blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Thanks ever so much.

    ReplyDelete