Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I hate spirituality

If you'll pardon me a moment, I took a long drive today and did a little thinking. I was thinking about something I'd read the other day and wondering what it was about the text that bothered me. And it hit me, it was all the references to spirituality.

Spirits I have no trouble believing and spirituals I love listening to but anytime I hear someone say "spirituality" or "spiritual life" I think, "You're lying!"

Not lying to me. To yourself. I think, we've only got one life and that is the one we devote to God. The second someone tells me they have another life they call their spiritual life or they have a special kind of experience they call spiritual, I begin to suspect something has gone deeply wrong.

I say experience  God with your hands, your mouth, your skin, your eyes and your feet. When we start telling ourselves that we need to drift off into a special sphere of experience we call "spiritual" we are just denying that our faith is slipping.

And that make me think of this illustration below. Someone in England came up with it and it makes the point that needs to be made this Advent. It has rubbed the right people the wrong way. I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment