Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Culture"

Many years ago I helped write a proposal to create a "cultural centre" at my university campus. We had to produce this proposal because the space we wanted to use was in a building that had been paid for by two very wealthy donors and the university insisted on deferring to them before allowing any new use of the space. The proposal was meant to obtain their approval, and it it did.

As you may have already guessed, the proposed "cultural centre" was actually a bar and the actual cultural activities that took place there once it was approved and opened for business consisted mostly of hook ups. I've had mixed feelings about my role (editorial advisor) ever since.

But I know longer feel quite so bad, I've just read about someone even more shameless than me. (Warning: some election-related commentary at link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment