Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A moral question

The thing that got me started on this pick up artist thread was something Dr. Helen wrote. She is positive on the pick up artist thing (a surprising number of women are but that is a subject for another post). I disagree with her about that but I thought she hit on something really important here:
I recently recommended them [books about how to be a pick up artist] to a friend of mine for her son who she said was depressed over his lack of ability to get a date. At first, I started to give the same old tired advice. "Just tell him to be himself and a woman will find that attractive." "Bullshit," I thought to myself. 
She is right that very often the advice given to young men is to "just be yourself" and that it is useless advice (and I'll get into that later too). But the question I have is this: Is it a morally good thing to "just be yourself"?

Turn it around, would you be satisfied with someone else if you knew that she was just trying to be herself?

I've embedded this video before and I'll probably embed it again because it's brilliant:


No comments:

Post a Comment