Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top ten posts for January 2012

These are the posts that drew the most traffic with some comment from me. "Most traffic" being a relative term as this is not and does not pretend to be a high traffic site.

More on Lana Del Rey
In which I explain what girls get and what critics don't get about Lana Del Rey. That this got a lot of traffic isn't surprising.

What are they selling: Another image
This is part of a semi-regular series I do analyzing images that send different messages from what the text accompanying them implies. In this case it is an image from a Salvation Army ad. This was linked by The Wingnut Musings (formerly known as the Fourth Check Raise). He has been very generous with his links to me. I have also linked to him but my traffic is not as large as his so I can hardly return the favour.

Somewhat related to my earlier post
This is more than a year old and is short and I would have thought not particularly interesting and yet it pulls all sorts of traffic in. I have no idea why.

Manly Thor's Day Special
A commentary I did on a study of how women respond to men who are flashy spenders. This is another perennial favourite and it is a rare day that it doesn't pull in a few readers. I am grateful for and flattered by the interest.

One more try on the Phillipa Foot post
A post on The Trolley Problem and one of the most popular posts I have ever written. My theory is that everyone who doesn't teach moral philosophy hates the Trolley Problem but no one in the academic world is willing to criticize it. So they come to me. Thank you for doing so.

"It's different when we do it"
A post about other people's hypocrisy and that is always more fun than considering our own hypocrisy.

We're flawed because we want so much more
This is the most popular post I have ever written. It's about a Mad Men episode called "The Summer Man" and it is a year and half old and yet it has been one of my top ten posts every single month since it was published. I'm flattered beyond words at this but I can't quite figure out what the attraction is.

For a long time I thought it was because there was an intriguing bit of dialogue from the show that I transcribed that people were searching for. But I created a separate post just for people looking for that quote so they wouldn't have to read my analysis of the entire episode just to get what they wanted and it gets almost no traffic.

666?
Another Mad Men related post looking at the large "666" from the Tishman building visible in the background of some shots. In this case the explanation is obvious: people see the 666 and then Google it and they get me as I'm the only one who was willing to devote too much time to it.

What are they selling? Another image
Another of a semi-regular series I do analyzing images that send different messages from what the text accompanying them implies. An analysis of the Millais painting Ophelia. Ophelia, who is supposedly drowning, has a facial expression that suggests a woman in a high state of sexual arousal. Perhaps I am the only one vulgar enough to point this out?

Sort of political Monday
Some commentary on what is probably a fake letter from a constituent to a Senator.









No comments:

Post a Comment