Friday, October 29, 2010

Somewhat related to my earlier post

Ann Althouse links to this photo of an extraordinarily beautiful young woman and writes "An argument against wearing makeup."

I don't think she means to be ironic either.

I buy it to a point. The Serpentine One wears no makeup so I am a fan.

But ...

I'm not sure this photo proves much. Would a photograph of a beautiful young woman with perfect firm breasts be an argument against wearing a bra? For a lot of women I think the argument in favour of make up and bras is that these things are equalizers. When I was a boy in the late 1970s and early 1980s, most girls and young women did not wear make up or bras and the differences between women were extremely obvious.

Also, I'm not entirely certain she doesn't dye her hair. Her natural colour is red but I think it's getting help.


1 comment:

  1. Its been my experience that the more educated the woman is the less makeup she wears, except perhaps if they go out of an evening or to a special function not related to work. Women professionals that I come in contact with--lawyers, college professors, doctors, tend to wear little or no makeup. I'm not sure I disagree with that regardless of whether the woman is pretty or not. My mother used to say that a woman should wear makeup so that no one can tell if she's wearing it or not, i.e., it shouldn't be obvious. From what I hear, today's makeup is such that you sometimes can't tell. I think the younger the girl the less makeup is necessary, but as you alluded to or in keeping with the theme of your other post, 13 and 14 year olds sometimes wear a lot of makeup so that they look 30.

    ReplyDelete