Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A reason to like Freud

From a link that comes courtesy of Ann Althouse:
Mr. Nabokov, would you tell us why it is that you detest Dr. Freud?
 I think he's crude, I think he's medieval, and I don't want an elderly gentleman from Vienna with an umbrella inflicting his dreams upon me. I don't have the dreams that he discusses in his books. I don't see umbrellas in my dreams. Or balloons.
I think that the creative artist is an exile in his study, in his bedroom, in the circle of his lamplight. He's quite alone there; he's the lone wolf. As soon as he's together with somebody else he shares his secret, he shares his mystery, he shares his God with somebody else. 
Notice how narcissistic that is. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who paid attention when reading Nabokov.

But what strikes me as interesting is the comment about Freud being medieval. That suggests a whole new way to read Freud and a way that would make him more interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment