Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Wings of the Dove

Kate Croy tells Merton Densher there is something she worries about doing that is "more base" than the thought of leaving him is to her. And he says,
Then what can be so base as sacrificing me?
It's a natural enough expression in the context because it has become clear that she is willing to give up a lot for her happiness. Still, it is religious language and it is no accident that the language of sacrifice and martyrdom keeps coming up around Kate.

And Kate's answer is telling, and prophetic:
I shan't sacrifice you; don't cry out until you're hurt. I shall sacrifice nobody and nothing, and that's just my situation, that I want and that I shall try for everything.
And the temptation is to say, 'There's her problem right there'.

Page 55 of my edition. Chapter 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment