Friday, January 8, 2010

Sharing passwords

Over at double x, they think the question needs asking: Is Sharing Passwords With a Partner Ever a Good Idea? The answer seems to be yes but only sorta yes.

Snake knows all my passwords, she knows my PIN number (well I told her all my passwords and PIN numbers, whether she remembers them is another question), she can go into my e-mail, my closet, anything she wants. The only secret I keep from her is what her birthday and Christmas present is going to be. If it were any other way, we wouldn't really be married. As I sometimes say to young Catholics at marriage prep courses, If you don't trust this person with your money, passwords and PIN, you shouldn't marry them*.

Do we look in one another's E-mail? Yup. Our lives are so intertwined that it's often necessary for her to find information that is only in my e-mail and vice versa. Once I had someone who wanted to tell me something but only if I promised not to tell Snake. I said sorry and, oh by the way, we tell each other everything. I still remember the look on his face as the significance of that sunk in. (Truth be told, we only share the things that are interesting enough to bother.)

Not unrelated, I remember, back in the early days of HIV education, hearing an "expert" say that even husbands should wear condoms**. Her argument was that you can't be sure your spouse hasn't had sex with someone else. That's true; you can't be sure. But if you don't trust your spouse enough to take the chance, you aren't married. Same goes for money and passwords. No, I don't care if you have paperwork that proves otherwise. You aren't married; you are just pretending to be, playing the part.


* No being partners isn't the same as marrying. Do I think being partners is a bad idea? Yes I do. Sex before marriage strikes me as a minor concern if a concern at all but partnering is definitely a bad idea. It's not that it's a bad thing so much that it isn't anything at all. It's calvinball for couples.

** The old joke back when I was in university was "Sex with a condom is like eating a chocolate bar without removing the wrapper." I know, you aren't supposed to say that sort of thing these days even though it's absolutely true and everyone who has ever used one of those horrid things knows it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment