Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What do you like?

What would I recommend to someone who wants to learn more about jazz?

If someone really wants to learn about jazz or, more accurately, to learn more about jazz (everyone knows something about jazz) then the place to start is with what you do like.

And it doesn't matter what it is. Do you like the Paul Whiteman recordings of the 1920s? Well, start there. learn more about that music and what makes it tick. Then go to the next thing. Alternatively, if what you really like is Dixieland, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Count Basie ... then start there. And don't worry where you'll end up.

Learn more about the jazz you like.

2 comments:

  1. when I got married, my wife told me 'I hate jazz.' I said, what do you mean you hate jazz, which kind of jazz? Jazz has so much varieties that I find it hard to believe that someone would not like some form of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for dropping by.

    I'd respond except I agree completely and that doesn't leave much to say beyond repeating what you have already said very well.

    ReplyDelete