Monday, January 17, 2011

This is neat

So, here I am reading and thinking about The Eve of Saint Agnes and I go to say Vespers or the Evening Prayer and I hit the responsory which reads as follows:
Accept my prayer, O Lord, which rises up to you.
Like burning incense in your sight.
And I think, of course, of this bit from the opening stanza of the Keats poem:
Numb were the Beadsman’s fingers, while he told
His rosary, and while his frosted breath,
Like pious incense from a censer old,
Seem’d taking flight for heaven, without a death,
Past the sweet Virgin’s picture, while his prayer he saith.
The particular responsory I used this evening is from a formula that only dates from 1970 but it's not impossible that it draws on a much older prayer. It would be really neat if it drew from a prayer used in January in Keats' time. It would, in fact, pretty much revolutionize scholarship regarding this poem.

But that's all speculation, all we have for certain is this lovely coincidence.

**UPDATE**
Okay, this should have been obvious. As soon as I looked around a bit I found Psalm 141. Read this and tell me that Keats didn't mean to connect the Beadsman's experience to this:
Let my prayer be set forth before these as incense;
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth;
keep the door of my lips.
Incline not my heart to any evil thing,
to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity;
and let me eat not of their dainties.
That's pretty much the set up.

I pretty confident that this is not a coincidence but a definite allusion by Keats.

No comments:

Post a Comment