Friday, May 21, 2010

"With my guitar on my back"

That was the line the guy playing guitar at the Rideau-street underpass was singing as I walked through this morning. My thoughts in order.

1. "Why is it significant that your guitar  was on your back?"

2. After he sang the next line about  getting a  ride from a man in a big fancy Cadillac, I thought, "Oh, I see your guitar was on your back because it has to rhyme with 'Cadillac'."

3. As I was walking away, I thought, "This must be an old song because its been 40 years since the last time a Cadillac was any kind of status symbol."

4. As I was waiting for the the light at the cross walk to change, the singer began running down the values of the man in the Cadillac and I thought, "But he gave you a ride."

5. After I was out of earshot, I thought, "Where does someone singing for change in an underpass get the notion that he is morally superior to someone who can afford the payments on a car."

6. And then I thought, "Get a job."

And I didn't feel even a twinge of regret or guilt at having though such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment