Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nobody asked me ...

... for my opinion about the Beatles but here it comes anyway.

Actually, I have been reading a great book called All What Jazz by Phillip Larkin. It's amazing that it would be great because it is a collection of monthly columns about new jazz releases from February 1961to December 1971. Most of the records he discusses are no longer available.

And yet it is wonderful, independent and perceptive writing from Larkin. Including this gem from December of 1963 about the Beatles:
Finally, what about the Beatles? 'With the Beatles' (Parlophone) suggests that their jazz content is nil, but that, like certain sweets, they seem wonderful until you are suddenly sick. Up until then it's nice though.
Which is about as concise and accurate a summation of the Beatles as I have ever seen.

Which is probably a good cue to just shut up but when has a good reason ever stopped me before.

Next post will be my ideas about what the best Beatles's songs are and when and why I think they went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment