Monday, September 19, 2011

Who's afraid of the prosperity gospel?

It certainly has people stirred up. I wonder why?

For while lots of self-declared orthodox Christians have been quick to condemn the prosperity gospel,  the fact is that most Christians live as if they believed the prosperity gospel. We work to accumulate wealth and comfort and we do so not furtively or guiltily, but openly and comfortably. We aren't racked with guilt or with fear of being exposed as hypocrites.

Okay, the prosperity gospel is crass and vulgar. But how wrong is it really?

There is a tendency in Christianity to play up the hard message: "Sell everything you have, give the proceeds to the poor and come follow me." There is very little evidence that anyone actually believes that however.

ADDED for Billy Carmichael:

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! You borrowed several 1000s from a tertiary lender at 50% to finance your recent renovations, didn't you! DIDN'T YOU!!! Because Jesus appeared in a dream and told you you granite counter-top salvation was assured and you knew what you had always lacked in your life was more stainless steel! Didn't you! DIDN'T YOU!!!! Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

    I demand a full confession! (And you pooh-pooh lottery tickets. My dear, such hyporcrisy! Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to sell my soul but there was a lien on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I think I have a new favourite song! "All day long I'd be-de-be-de-bum, If I were a wealthy man". Awesome. Can you believe I've never seen this movie?!?. Well now I will. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete