Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The best yearbook ever!

I love Pope Benedict, I really do, but this sort of thing makes me sad:
Vatican City, May 30, 2011 / 10:47 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Benedict stressed the urgency of evangelizing modern society, saying that Christians today face the task of reaching a world that grows increasingly apathetic to the message of the Gospel.
Remember the girl who ran for student council president back in high school in order to overcome "apathy"? Remember how bubbly she was and even attractive and actually kind of hot because she was always neat and clean and smiling and was on the swim team? Remember how you started avoiding her after a while?

That's what will happen here too. I can only hope that this lead paragraph reflects more of what the folks at CNA wanted to hear than what the pope actually said.
“The crisis we are living through,” he said, “carries with it signs of the exclusion of God from people's lives, a general indifference to the Christian faith, and even the intention of marginalizing it from public life.”
Life always feels like a crisis. It always feels as if we need to change what we are doing or very bad things will happen. Sometimes the feeling is justified and sometimes it is not.

Look, I'm a believer. Whether I'm a good Christian I don't know but I am a serious one, I go to church more than once a week. I couldn't even begin to convince myself that apathy is worth overcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment