Monday, May 9, 2011

Another SlutWalk comment that is not obligatory at all, is in fact gratuitous and self-indulgent

I have rather soft spot in heart for girls who dress like sluts this morning. Well, for one of them in particular.

I was coming out of church last night. I was well dressed in flannels, blazer and tie and my favourite tassel loafers and an olive-green trench-coat and grey fedora. I had just missed the10:08 bus. The next bus was at 10:38 so I started walking up Bank Street. As I came under the Queensway and there she was at the Bank and Isabella.

She was wearing red lipstick, a soft sweater (lambswool?), a black mini skirt and stay ups (I could tell they were stay ups because the way she was sitting on the curb pulled her skirt above the tops of the stockings). I didn't notice her shoes. Heck, for all I know, she wasn't wearing shoes. If I'd had another three hours I might have gotten bored enough of what I did see to check out her shoes.

So what did I see?

Her smile mostly. I couldn't miss it because she turned it right on me. It was a friendly smile but, more to the point, it was a come on. It could have meant a whole lot of things. Most likely she appreciated being looked at the way I had looked at her after all the efforts she'd put into looking the way she did. It may also have been more. She may be one of those girls who develop a taste for older men or at least want to try that once in her life. I don't know and it wasn't going to go that way. It may have been that she felt lonely and vulnerable on an empty street at night.

But you can over-analyze these things and the simple explanation I gave at first—that she likes flaunting her sexual power and immediately recognized me as a guy who'd play my part in the game—is the most likely. I have thoughts that run from what you can guess without my help to slightly paternal hopes that she is happy and loved and that her life turns out just fine.

And I have to say that I not only don't see what she and others like her are doing as any kind of problem, I really wish there were more women like her. I think the world is a better place for her being in it. [Update: As I was writing this it was obvious to me that no reasonable person would think that anything more than smiles and pleasantries were exchanged in this encounter. However, as reasonable people can reach different conclusions based on the same text, let me assure all readers that nothing more than smiles and pleasantries were exchanged.]

No comments:

Post a Comment