Friday, December 11, 2009

Controversial

One of the more interesting weasel words out there these days is "controversial".

Interesting because the same word can be used to drag down a solid argument and to prop up a bogus one.

Suppose I hold a view and someone comes up with an argument or research that just destroys my position. Well, I and people who share my views will attack the person who has come up with this brilliant position against us. Now, all I have to do is forever refer to the person and their position as "controversial". As if to say, hey don't accept this.

Now turn it around. Someone on my side makes an absolutely bogus argument for a cause I hold dear. Immediately it comes under attack. So I cite it and say it's "controversial" implying that Hey it upsets some people but ...

No comments:

Post a Comment