Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Contrast and compare

Here is one public statement by a leader.
One of the dangers of the internet is that people can have entirely different realities. They can be cocooned in information that reinforces their current biases.
The question has to do with how do we harness this technology in a way that allows a multiplicity of voices, allows a diversity of views, but doesn't lead to a Balkanisation of society and allows ways of finding common ground.
Social media is a really powerful tool for people of common interests to convene and get to know each other and connect, but then it's important for them to get offline, meet in a pub, meet at a place of worship, meet in a neighborhood and get to know each other, because the truth is that on the internet, everything is simplified, and when you meet people face-to-face, it turns out they're complicated.
And here is another.
No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do, opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely, and without reserve.*
I know who I trust more.


* Please don't jump in and tell me that there is doubt about who actually said or later wrote and attributed these words. Regardless, who said it, the statement shows a sentiment very different from the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment