Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sorta political: Why I failed to show up at the Pussy Riot

I know, it's so unlike me.

And the sentence really is unjust. They should have gotten tickets with a fine of the equivalent of a few hundred dollars each, and that should have been the end of it. This is really unjust.

On top of which, the religious aspect of the Pussy Riot protest seems to be genuine. They really are driven by genuine religious belief and offence at corruption in the Russian Orthodox church.

But I just can't get into the spirit of the thing. Not because of them but because of us. The nature of the protest the west has mounted is just so shallow. The attraction is the suggestive name and the suggestion of desecration of religion. It's all so selective too. For every single year of my lifetime, the state of Cuba has been responsible for abuses that exceed this one in every way and yet the western response has ranged from mute to openly apologetic for the monster that is Castro.

Sorry but I just can't get worked up about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment