Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Goodbye Davy Jones

May he find eternal peace in God's kingdom.

The only song to remember Jones by is Daydream Believer. Although I'm going with someone else's version of his big song. This is Mary Beth Maziarz from the Dawson's Creek soundtrack. I think it is a fitting tribute to Jones and the Monkees that his song still made perfect sense for a teen soap opera years after they broke up. besides, I was too young to catch the Monkees the first time around, by the time I saw the show it had been in syndication for years and felt like it belonged to another era.

It's funny but people who hate teen culture the Monkees or Dawson's Creek always pick on it for being unrealistic but I lived a life that was shocking close to what you see on Dawson's Creek. My life was not exactly that of Pacey Witter but it was close enough (my family's financial status was more like Dawson's but my personality was more like Pacey) and my first girlfriend Ellen was so frighteningly close to Joey Potter that it's a bit chilling and she used to sing this song.

You'd have to be young when you first heard it to be really moved by this song. It's more what a young person imagines the realities of adulthood will be like than it really is. But that's okay because it's good to be a teen imagining what adulthood will be like.



Actually, I do a passable version of this song myself but I won't post it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment