Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Disneyfication of the culture

I was standing in line at the express line at the grocery store this morning when a female boomer in her fifties ahead of me said in a raised tone, "How do you know about that song? It's ancient." She was speaking to the 19 year old guy at the cash. And he said, "The Lion King."

And then he added, I'm a Disney kid." To which she laughed and said, "We all are."

I'm no Disney hater and have defended them here before, but I find that very sad. It's not a good thing when the only things that tie us together culturally speaking are Disney, baby boomer hits from the 1960s and Christmas. Yes, I'm exaggerating but we're tending in that direction. It's all the worse when you consider that Disney makes very little original contribution to the culture besides recycling already existing cultural sources and rendering them banal in the process.

Case in point, this old song, whatever it was. I didn't hear the name of the song but I'm guessing it was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

No comments:

Post a Comment