Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More Christian narcissism

I've mentioned before a story I once was told about GK Chesterton. I was told it by a member of the clergy who thought it embodied important moral truth. This story smacks of urban mythology to me; although it may be true for all I know. For my purposes it doesn't matter because it is the attitude behind the story and not whether it really happened that is interesting.

The story is that a British newspaper asked various leading figures to write on the theme "What is the matter with the world today". And the conclusion to the story is that Chesterton submitted a two word response; "I am".

Now that is about as pure an example of narcissism as you will ever find. For the narcissist the entire world exists only as a theatre for their moral struggles. The narcissist lives in a world where they act and everyone else responds. Only a narcissist could imagine that they were what is wrong with the world today.

Take a deep breath and say the following:
 "I will die. Not maybe but definitely. Some people will miss me but they'll probably get over it and if I have even a shred of decency in me I will hope and pray that they do. Beyond that small circle, my death will hardly be noticed. It will have almost no impact on the world. That is the way it is and, if we believe in God, it is the way it should be."
To put it another way, George Bailey is a narcissist. That is to say, there isn't a better example in our culture of pure, unrestrained narcissism run amok than the movie It's a Wonderful Life.

I know, I know, now I've gone too far. It's one thing to be writing this blog taking shots at the clergy and other fellow Christians but when I start trash-talking holiday classics I've really gone over the edge. Maybe. But before you decide I am watch the movie again. Watch it now, or in May, or in August. Watch it all alone. Watch it away from all the ritual that has grown up around it. See it again for the first time away from whatever preconceptions have taken hold. The movie is about as clear a portrait of a man who has completely lost his grip on reality as you will ever find. Really! Watch it. George Bailey is Charlie Sheen crazy!

George Bailey convinces himself that if he didn't exist the whole universe would reverse to that weird world where Mr. Spock wears a goatee. He's an ordinary little guy doing the best he can but he restores his "sanity" through megalomania pure and simple.

This is not Christ's message. Christ's message is all about how everyone, including Christ himself, is absolutely dependent on God.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that I agree that Chesterton's quote is a good example of narcissism. In a way, he took a kind of obnoxious question (tell us, O wise one, what is wrong with the world today) and turned it around, saying that instead of blaming impersonal forces, unfairness, conspiracies, the malice of people in power, we should probably look at ourselves and our own flaws, i.e. take responsibility for the stuff we can actually control. In this way I think he mocks the attitude of the person who, arrogantly and even narcissistically, comfortably pronounces verdicts on the world. This is just my own interpretation I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair comment. In the sense you describe it, yes, it is a perfectly reasonable response to an inane question from the gentleman of the press.

    But the way it was told to me, the line was presented as deep wisdom about morality. To take it that way strikes me as narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete