Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Do you ever get the feeling ...

... that the cool, sophisticated people are actually complete rubes?

I will confess that I had never heard of Melissa Leo until yesterday and, with any luck, I can spend whatever time I have left on this earth without ever hearing about her again. But, like everyone else, I heard about her letting the F-bomb drop into her acceptance speech at the Oscars. And I could not resist clicking on someone's video of the moment.

Here is the thing: that "slip" was planned from the start. It was a deliberate act of self promotion by a woman who, according to what I've read elsewhere, is well practiced at self promotion. There are only two possibilities here: people in the industry are either naive or they are all playing along because they don't care. Either way, that's about all you need to know about these people.

6 comments:

  1. I always hate it when I am somehow tricked into caring about celebrity antics, clicking on headlines, reading. Then in the middle of the article I realize that I don't know anything about the celebrity.

    Similarly, I sometimes come to a weird consciousness of how newspapers and news websites arrange their material to give importance to certain things.

    I'm going to stop now before I spiral into paranoia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it oddly comforting that they get fooled by their own tricks. Every once in a while someone who is absolutely shameless in their pursuit of fame such as Melissa Leo, Lady Gaga, Madonna or Axl Rose comes along and you can watch them try to resist and fail

    Otherwise, as you say, we might get really paranoid about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever read "the last psychiatrist"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. I don't even know what it is. Please tell me more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a blog: thelastpsychiatrist.com Not something I read because I agree with it, or for moral edification, more for the viewpoint expressed. The writer is often quite insightful and critical, sometimes on the topics of media and reporting and advertising (hence my mention of it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found it. Thanks. Lots of really thought provoking stuff there. No doubt I'll think of things to criticize later but for now I'm looking for gold and there is lots of it there.

    ReplyDelete