Saturday, July 1, 2017

Our national holiday

The people next me were arguing about what is the most Canadian song ever and I wasn't hiding my eavesdropping. A rather attractive woman made eye contact and asked me what my choice would be. "Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot," I tell her. She obviously wants to ask me why that song seems particularly Canadian to me but equally obviously isn't sure she wants to hear the answer.

I'm not actually sure myself. It was the first thing to pop into my head. I might as easily have picked Carey by Joni Mitchell.

I get back from Starbucks and think about it. The other possibility is the song below. It's a masterpiece when it's sung by someone who realizes it's supposed to be a sad song as opposed to you-know-who's treacly version.

The whole issue raises a question though: Why are so many great Canadian songs about bad relationships?



No comments:

Post a Comment