Thursday, November 1, 2012

Manly Thor's Day special: Katie Moss got married

Here is the set up quote:
Even on her wedding day to rock musician Jamie Hince, in 2011, Moss looked to her old friend John Galliano to tell her who to be. As Moss recalls, “On my wedding day, I’m like freaking out, obviously. ‘You’ve got to give me a character.’ And [Galliano] said, ‘You have a secret—you are the last of the English roses. Hide under that veil. When he lifts it, he’s going to see your wanton past!’”
Can I confess that that all makes perfect sense to me. I get her reaction and I get her needing a role to play. And it is a sexual role to be a bride, to be a model and, some days, just to be a woman. Role playing is not only a sane and healthy thing to do, it's an important part of learning how to be human, learning how to be a man or woman and learning how to be sexual.

None of those things can be done any other way and anyone who tells you different is an immoral liar. (Which is another reason to deplore those who condemn sexual fantasies.)

 What I don't get is revealing this to the whole world. What the blankety blank is she doing telling this story about her wedding day!!! to Vanity Fair?

Think of this, she is still married to Jamie Hince so why is she saying the following to anyone at all, never mind the whole bleepin' world:
There’s nobody that’s ever really been able to take care of me. Johnny did for a bit. I believed what he said ...
Your married to a woman and you read her quoted talking that way about another man in Vanity Fair. How does it make you feel?

I was thinking about this yesterday when an article that Lena Dunham wrote for The New Yorker came up in the comments. I haven't read it yet but it was apparently inspired by her ex-boyfriend's parents blocking her on Facebook. This led her to spill her guts about the whole relationship in print. Think about that, you're offended because someone blocked you on Facebook so you tell the whole world about it? The being-offended part makes perfect sense. It's the complete lack of any sense of privacy and intimacy that is utterly insane.

People who, like Kate Moss and Lena Dunham, aren't good at deciding when to keep, reveal or discard roles—who don't see that there are some very intimate roles that should stay intimate–are high risk to be found having choked to death on their own vomit.

Roles are comforting and safe. They operate a lot like clothes. You should be as careful about discarding the former as the latter.

Although, come to think of it, neither Moss nor Dunham are exactly prudent in their choice of clothing or lack of it either.

Relevant disclosure, I find Kate Moss hauntingly beautiful and always have. I'm glad not to know her though.

No comments:

Post a Comment