Friday, January 4, 2013

A little light culture: Anne certainly Hathaway about her

And all the Shakespeare scholars groaned because that pun is one of the hoariest in their trade. In this case, however, I'm talking about the actress. You may remember that the last time we discussed her, Hathaway had gone out with a dress with major slits and no panties, revealed a slit not in her dress to photographers and then claimed that she was surprised and humiliated that this had happened. Well now we know why she did it:
"I'm not Rihanna," she told Harper's Bazaar. "I'm not cool. When people come up to me in the street, they often want a hug not a photo, and they want that because they like my work. 
Think of how bizarre that is. An actress doesn't want to be known for her work; she'd prefer to be known as a bad girl.

Even more oddly, she admits that she knows here erratic behaviour off the set could hurt the prospects of her latest movie.

And then she spills the beans:
Now, after her "secret" marriage to Adam Shulman in September, she has told of her worries about turning 30, as well as the effect of her personal life on her performance. "It doesn't help that the new crop of girls is so gorgeous, and so 22 years old," she said of her recent birthday. "But I'm excited about it." 
As great as her supposed success in  Les Miserables has been, Hathaway realized "a few days" into the shooting that she was moving from sex symbol to character actor. In today's entertainment industry, even character actresses have to be really hot to get major roles. Best case scenario, Hathaway has five more years of good work ahead of her and she will increasingly be playing supporting roles.

She will still be able to get the attention an exhibitionist like her needs after that but she'll have to do it the way Jennifer Anniston and Angelina Jolie do it—which is to say by being a drama queen for the tabloids.

By the way, I ask the question I keep asking again, If things are going so well for women right now, why do things like this keep happening? Why is it that Hollywood actress's careers are still pretty much over by the time they hit their thirties?

1 comment:

  1. I've noted this for a long time. Before Feminism Hollywood produced some great actressess who portrated strong and independent women, role models: Katherine Hepburn, Margaret Sullavan, Bette Davis, Carol Lombard, Rosalind Russell, Deborah Kerr, Jennifer Jones, we could go on an on. Meryl Streep is the only actress today who seems to have stood the test of time, still getting leading roles in her 60s.
    Speaking of Deborah Kerr, I watched An Affair to Remember last night. I hadn't seen it in years so when I saw it was on I decided to watch. I've always felt it was a wonderful film with a great story, and beautifully made. Aside from the great story, when I saw it last night the film reminded me of when I was growing up and how the world used to be, when it was "normal." There have been remakes of An Affair to Remember but I haven't seen any of them. I don't know that anyone would want to remake it today, we've gotten so far afield.

    ReplyDelete